Coed-y-Celyn

Built for Mr Charles Kurtz, a manufacturing chemist from Liverpool in 1878, on the site of a former small farmhouse called Rhyd-y-Gaflan. Sadly, Mr Kurtz died shortly before his project was complete so he never got to see the finished mansion.

A very early photo of Coed-y-Celyn with Beaver Pool in the foreground - from the Beaver Bridge

A very early photo of Coed-y-Celyn with Beaver Pool in the foreground – from the Beaver Bridge

The same shot in 2012

The same shot in 2012

Coed-y-Celyn through Beaver Bridge

A view of Coed-y-Celyn through Beaver Bridge


The following cards were a set published by ‘H Byrd, Proprietor of Coed-y-celyn and Blue Bird Tea Rooms (now Tŷ Gwyn), Bettws-y-Coed‘. 

Coed-y-Celyn The Drive

The Drive

The Terrace

The Terrace

The Dining Room

The Dining Room

Coed-y-Celyn Hall

The Hall

Coed y Celyn - croquet lawn

The Croquet Lawn

Coed-y-Celyn as seen from Blaenau Festiniog Railway

Coed-y-Celyn as seen from Blaenau Festiniog Railway

View from Coed-y-Celyn